German Strawberry Cake (Erdbeertorte)
When we’re children, our mom always made us birthday cake, a strawberry birthday cake to be precise. And here’s our family recipe which we love to share with you. It’s super-simple and, because it contains lots of fruits, not heavy at all.
For the base
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons tab water
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 sachet of baking powder
A teaspoon of butter (for the baking form)
- 1 sachet vanilla pudding
- 500g strawberries
- 1 sachet of glaze (aka ‘Tortenguss’ in German)
For the actual baking, you’ll need a 30cm flan pan (‘Tortenform’).
LET’S START BAKING,
- Coat the flan pan with butter. It’s very important to cover all areas and little corners and spots.
- Add all the ingredients for the base into a bowl. Using your hand mixer with the blades, really mix it up. Give it about 2 minutes, it should be fluid.
- Heat up your oven to 220°C while you pour the mixture onto the flan pan. Bake for about 15 minutes until nice and light-brown.
- In the meantime, wash and cut the strawberries to your liking. We prefer them halved but any other way works, too. Put them aside.
- Cook the pudding according to instructions
- When the cake is baked to your liking, take it out and give it some rest on a roasting tray, about 10 minutes. Once it has cooled down, flip it over onto a large plate or serving platter
- Spread the cooked pudding across the cake and add a layer of strawberries on top
- Cook the glaze according to instructions and cover the strawberries with it
- Let it cool for a few minutes before you cut out a piece and serve it
ENJOY & SHARE
We would love to hear from you, so please share your creations with us on social media #oneheimat