German Poppy Seed Cake (Mohnkuchen)
Bursting with delicious flavours, this old-fashioned German Poppy seed cake is soft and moist. Glazed with lemon icing these contrasting flavours are an exciting treat for your taste buds. The recipe is simple, the ingredients minimal. This is a showstopper cake without any hassle.
History of Poppy Seed Cakes in Germany
Poppy seed cake is called Mohnkuchen in German. Simply put together from the German word for poppy seeds “Mohn” and cake “Kuchen”.
Traditional poppy seed cakes originate from Silesia and Poland but have become part of the German and Austrian cuisine over centuries.
About this German Poppy seed cake recipe
This recipe is so easy and simple, you will love it. It is full of poppy seeds, yet it is light and moist. This is because the dough includes yoghurt which gives the cake a smooth texture.
- 200 gr butter 3/4 cup or 7 oz – at room temperature
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 250 gr caster sugar 1 cup and 1/8 cup or 8.8 oz
- 200 gr ground poppy seeds 1.5 cups or 7 oz
- 300 gr flour 2 cups or 10 oz, in Germany Type 405 flour, UK plain flour, US pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300 gr plain full-fat yoghurt 1 cup and 3 tbsp, 10 oz
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- zest of half a lemon (about 1 tsp)
Make this wonderful recipe by following the instructions on: MyDinner.co.uk